Thursday, November 15, 2012

Painting on Masa Paper

                   Baby Elephant Walk Watercolor on Masa paper 10X14

I'm not sure what Masa paper is but it's fun to work with. I first tried this technique when painting in a workshop many years ago with Chen Kee Chee, a wonderful watercolor painter and teacher. While working in a class last week I was reminded of this paper again. First you crumple all of part of it into a ball. Then you soak it in clean water until it relaxes a little. You remove it from the water and carefully open it up and spread it out on a clean surface. You then prepare a sheet of watercolor paper the same size by spreading a thin layer of YES glue over it. The Masa paper is then laid on the glue and smoothed with your hands and finally rolled with a brayer. I did a little light under painting at this point and left it to dry. The crackly, wrinkly paper just made me want to paint an elephant in the foliage. I used hand made leaf stamps for the foliage. It was one of those paintings that came together easily and quickly. What a treat!


5 comments:

  1. I love it! Love all the crinkles - and the elephant is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your elephant is tuly realistic looking. I love the textural feel you achieved with the Masa paper. I had never heard of it, but I'll need to look for it. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a wonderful piece.. I've heard of this paper but have never tried it.. You make me want to ... what an inspiration...
    Love it and thanks a bunch for coming by my blog..
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this elephant and the texture added by your preparation of the paper (thank you for describing the process)! I am delighted to have discovered your blog (via your comment on Barbra Joan's blog) and have enjoyed browsing the unique, creative works you post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo

I started watercolor painting earnestly in 1991 after I moved to Florida. My husband and I are retired, and we are both artists. We both have works displayed  at the Wildchild Gallery in Matlacha Florida.