Monday, July 27, 2015

Summertime Slow Down

Matlacha Mangroves
Watercolor on Masa paper, 10 X 14

It's hot, it's rainy, it's summertime in Florida. It's a good time to slow down and take it easy. A time to travel to cooler places and it you can't do that, you stay inside and read, play on the internet and maybe paint a little. I've been doing very little painting but the elephant painting is coming along. I'm taking my time with it and enjoying the process. There is no pressure of a deadline of a show to enter. 
I enjoy working on the Masa paper because sometimes the painting just seems to paint itself, especially if you do a landscape. You wet the paper and then crinkle it leaving a little space that's not crinkled; then you smooth it on an absorbent surface like a towel or piece of felt. The next step is to lightly wash over the wrinkled areas with a soft brush and India ink, black, brown or both as I did. It's glued to watercolor paper using a special flour based wallpaper paste and a brayer to get a good adhesion. At this point I let it dry, but you could continue to work on it. I wasn't going for mangroves but that's what appeared when I started to add color. 

2 comments:

  1. Janet, good to see you. Thanks for the visit.. I seeyour still being brave and always doing new things. Good for you.!
    By now you may realize I've had life changing events and just now putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. But I'm in Tennessee now, do miss Fl. Absolutely!
    Just getting back to my art , it's always the one thing we can count on . That and my cat , Jenny. !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Yes, you have made some major changes and that's always hard. I think you'll love living in Tennessee as well as you did Florida. They both have their charms. Do get back into making your lovely art, it's good for the soul.

      Delete

Followers