Saturday, December 23, 2017

Watercolor Without Glass

Undersea Turtle
7.5 X 7.5 Watercolor
Waxed and mounted on 8 X 8 Board

I visited a gallery in Salem Oregon and saw some amazing watercolors that were displayed without being under glass. The gallery owner said the artist sealed them with wax. They looked so nice without the reflection of glass that I knew I had to try it. The neat thing about living in this modern time is that anything can be researched on the internet. I found out that artists can use Dorlands Wax Medium to permanently seal their watercolors. It stays clear and does not yellow. This is my first attempt at it and so far it's looking good. I first sprayed the watercolor with workable fixative, let it dry and and applied a coat of wax. I will apply another coat of wax and see if it's sealed sufficiently to hang. I think it would be good to use a UVA spray before applying the wax so next time I will try that. If anyone has tried this, I'd like to know how it worked out for them.

1 comment:

  1. Jan, no I haven't tried this yet... I leave all the trying to you first. LOL. I like this idea though.
    I know several watercolor artists that do seal their work with varnish.
    Want to wish you a Merry Christmas and the best New Year. !!
    Lets have a real good painting progress year. !!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers