Thursday, March 28, 2019

I Love Dragonflies

Flight of the Dragonfly
Collage, 6.5 X 11.5

Dragonflies are wonderful creatures! They eat mosquitoes for one thing and that makes them very useful; they are fun to watch and they have such varied bodies, from large to small and every color of the rainbow, often iridescent. One time, up north after a rainy day, the sun came out and there were literally thousands of dragonflies. It was magical! How and why they appeared after the rain I don't know. 
This collage was done in the traditional manner by gluing (with matte medium) paper onto a backing which was mat board. The papers were hand painted craft tissue, the dragonfly was an acrylic transfer which I applied using the heat method. The "flight path" is an acrylic string. Acrylic string is made by squirting a fine stream of acrylic paint onto a nonstick surface like oven parchment. It is allowed to dry and is fastened to the desired surface with matte or gloss medium. Please put in a comment if you have any questions about the process. 


2 comments:

  1. LOL! Leave it to you to make "acrylic string"!!! In my wildest I couldn't have thought up that one ….
    I'm journaling more than painting.
    and I love dragonflies.. I used to keep a large petrified one on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done! I love dragonflies, too. They are beautiful. Come to think of it, I love all creatures that eat mosquitoes - bats, turtles, birds, frogs, fish:)

    ReplyDelete

Followers