Monday, May 20, 2019

Back Home

Back Home
Watercolor and Charcoal 9 X 15

I can't remember if I posted this before but I couldn't find a picture for it in my files so I think maybe I didn't. It received an Honorable Mention in a local show this year and the judge said some interesting things about it. 
"Canvas divided in quarters for focal area, high marks for design, e.g. diagonal line leading the eye, variety of rectangular shapes, skill turning charcoal into watercolor, with much diversity of shapes, feeling of balance, lots of variety yet coherent movement of the eye in the work, excellent feeling of childlike execution in small areas. Picasso said, "It took me four years to learn how to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."
I guess I can take that as a compliment! 
Painting on a charcoal pour is a technique I learned from Karen Knutson in a workshop a few years ago. I do it when I want to get some challenge and diversity in my paintings. 


2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. The judge was right on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, for goodness sake! How did I miss this? Fantastic painting. So colorful and love that little spot with the barn..

    ReplyDelete

Followers